Ben is a graduate researcher at The University of Melbourne in the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music investigating the intersection of networked music and virtual reality (VR). He works as the Coordinator of Immersive Media (AR/VR) in the Learning Environments VR lab, assisting with the integration of VR in the curriculum as well as running masterclass sessions for staff and graduate research students.
A major part of his current research is focused on the support and implementation of networked music performance which can be viewed at the guide on Performing music over the internet.
In 2017, Ben was inducted as an Institute Fellow (Virtual Reality) at the Networked Society Institute for his work related to the use of VR at the University. The Music Therapy in Virtual Environments project was as a finalist in the 2017 National Disability Awards and the 2018 iAwards national finals in the Infrastructure and Platform Innovations of the Year category.
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-1857-901X
- Loveridge, Ben. “Networked Music Performance in Virtual Reality: Current Perspectives.” Journal of Network Music and Arts 2, 1 (). https://commons.library.stonybrook.edu/jonma/vol2/iss1/2
- Tamplin, J., Loveridge, B., Clarke, K., Li, Y., & J Berlowitz, D. (2019). Development and feasibility testing of an online virtual reality platform for delivering therapeutic group singing interventions for people living with spinal cord injury. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 1357633X19828463. Accepted version (open access): https://minerva-access.unimelb.edu.au/handle/11343/238828. Published version: https://doi.org/10.1177/1357633X19828463
Presentations, Teaching and Workshops
- Can the use of virtual reality improve the experience of real-time networked music performance? Melbourne Video Technology Meetup Thursday 25 September, 8:30pm – 9pm.
- Guest lecture – VR visualisation at the University of Melbourne. Information Visualisation (GEOM90007) Graduate Coursework subject, Melbourne School of Engineering. Monday 21st Sept 12pm-1pm.
- Integrating virtual reality into teaching and research at UoM Sim Cafe (Simulation Australia) Friday 24 July, 1pm – 2pm.
- Networked Music Performance in Virtual Reality – Masters Update. Music Psychology, Music Performance Science, and Music Performance Teaching (lab session) 24 July, 3pm – 4pm.
- Implementing VR within the context of a tertiary institution A New Reality 2020 Thursday 25 June, 10.30 am – 11.00 am. Workshop recording.
- Can the use of virtual reality improve the experience of real-time networked music performance? A New Reality 2020 Thursday 25 June, 11.15 am – 11.35 pm. Presentation recording.
- Integrating virtual reality into teaching and research at UoM Researcher Connect Tuesday 23 June, 2pm – 3pm. Webinar recording.
- AARNet Webinar Series Supporting Remote Research – Remote Research Challenge 2: Maintaining and Building Communities
Thursday 4 June, 12.00 pm – 1.30 pm. Online panel discussion.
- Can the use of virtual reality improve the experience of real-time networked music sessions in singing teaching? Teaching Music Online in Higher Education 16th May, 2020. Online conference via pre-recorded presentation/Zoom.
- Can the use of virtual reality improve the experience of real-time networked music sessions in music conferences? IEEEVR Conference – March 21st, 2020. Zoom/Mozilla Hubs.
- Can the use of virtual reality improve the experience of real-time networked music sessions? Graduate Research Symposium, Feb 21st, 2020. University of Melbourne.
- Music Therapy in VR. Educators in VR International Summit – VR Presentation recording, Feb 19th. AltspaceVR.
- The MT-VR Solution: A novel telehealth approach to delivering online group singing therapy for people with quadriplegia. Australian Music Therapy Association Conference, November 29th 2019. Melbourne.
- VR and Presurgical Planning. 3D Technologies in Medicine Conference. November 15th, AAMI Park, Melbourne.
- Networked music performance in virtual reality. NowNet Arts Conference, November 9th 2019. Stony Brook University, New York, USA (via Zoom).
- Virtual Reality and Immersive Media. Innovative Design & Service Delivery. Graduate Coursework Subject. Faculty of Arts, University of Melbourne. October 27th, 2019.
- Demystifying Virtual Reality in Schools. Panel Discussion. School of Biomedical Sciences, The University of Melbourne. 25th October, 2019.
- Music Therapy in Virtual Reality. Game Connect Asia Pacific (GCAP). Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre. South Wharf. October 8th, 2019.
- Learning through immersive media workshop. Learning Environments Masterclass Series, September 11, 2019. University of Melbourne.
- AR/VR at the University of Melbourne. Researcher Connect. August 28th, 2019. Graduate House, University of Melbourne.
- Music Therapy in VR. APAN (Asia Pacific Advanced Network), July 24th 2019, Putrajaya, Malaysia (via Zoom).
- Networked music performance in virtual reality (Poster Presentation). International Symposium on Performance Science, July 16-20, 2019, Melbourne.
- Music Therapy in VR. AARNet Networkshop. 6 June, 2019, Melbourne.
- Researcher Virtual Reality Masterclass. Learning Environments Masterclass Series, March 28, 2019. University of Melbourne.
- Getting Started with Virtual Reality using Unity. Research Bazaar, February 20, 2019.University of Melbourne.
- Jobs of the Future in VR. Panel Discussion, 23 January, 2019, Academy Xi, Melbourne.
- Real-time Networked Music Therapy in Virtual Reality. QUESTnet, September 28, 2018, Cairns.
- Using Virtual Reality for Innovation in Research and Teaching. University of Melbourne Professional Staff Conference, September 5, 2018, Melbourne.
- Using Virtual Reality for Innovation in Research and Teaching. Researcher @ Library Week, August 29, 2018. University of Melbourne.
- Non-Linear Story Experiencing in Virtual Reality. LE Masterclass Series. August 3, 2018. University of Melbourne.
- Networked Society Institute VR Project Showcase. Telstra Labs, June 27, 2018, Melbourne.
- The Use of VR/AR in Vocational Education, Panel Discussion, May 9, 2018, RMIT University, Melbourne.
- Practical Considerations for Integrating Virtual Reality in the Classroom. University of Melbourne Professional Staff Conference, September 7, 2017, Melbourne.
- Virtual Reality Projects at the Melbourne Networked Society Institute. Sensilab Forum, April 17, 2017, Monash University, Melbourne.
- Music Therapy in VR. University of Melbourne Professional Staff Conference, September 15, 2016, Melbourne.
- VR therapy research transforming perspectives – and improving lives, by Jessica Willis, AARNet News, 29 June 2018.
- 3D printers and virtual jam sessions: Innovation honoured at National Disability Awards, by Rebecca Armitage and Norman Hermant, ABC News, 3 December 2017.
- Music therapy receives National Disability Award nomination, by Louise Bennett, The Melbourne Newsroom, 27 November 2017.
- The new hyper-reality of work by Andrew Trounson, Pursuit, 9th October 2017.
- Spinal patients sing to breathe easy in a virtual world by Andrew Trounsen, Pursuit, 9 November 2016.
- iAwards 2018 – Infrastructure & Platforms Innovation of the Year Merit Award (as member of the Music Therapy VR team)
- 2017 National Disability Award – Finalists (as member of the Music Therapy VR team)